Sir Patrick Murray (1632-1671) was a descendent of the Murray’s of Elibank in Peeblesshire who acquired the estate of the Livingston’s in 1952. Whist Laird of Livingston he created a garden in the grounds of the peel. He was very keen on natural history and devoted much of his life to developing his garden. He travelled widely throughout Britain collecting specimens and acquired seeds sent to him by foreign botanists. Ultimately he amassed a collection of nearly 1000 different species of flowers and plants.