Livingstoni • View topic - A trip to the centre, early 80s style.

It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:07

A trip to the centre, early 80s style.

Have you got an old photos to upload and share with everyone? or anything else related to livingston...

Paul ...

Post » 27 Apr 2009, 15:06

I think it will be expanded again.
Give it another 5-6 years.. Once the recession is over and done with and I could see them expanding. As long as the shops are getting filled and the rent coming in. Any company would invest and expand. Livingston is becoming the shopping Capital of Scotland. Not far behind Glasgow.
But has a edge over Glasgow as its all in one location under one roof!

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Post » 27 Apr 2009, 16:06

paul wrote:I think it will be expanded again.
    Give it another 5-6 years.. Once the recession is over and done with and I could see them expanding. As long as the shops are getting filled and the rent coming in. Any company would invest and expand. Livingston is becoming the shopping Capital of Scotland. Not far behind Glasgow.
    But has a edge over Glasgow as its all in one location under one roof!

i dont think it can expanded as it dont have much to move into now
    center as it is the now
    left Livingston police center Pentland house and rite bank and car park
    new car park at the back

so what do you think will go to make room for expandeding the center?
    Attachments
    can.png

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Paul ...

Post » 27 Apr 2009, 16:45

If they really wanted to they could built up. Remember the new car park at the back where the bus station is looks very Temperary compared to the new on in the old Safeway Car park. Thats quite a large area they could use. They also have West lothian/ Sidlaw House which they have bought from the council. They bought the land rather than the building. So that could get turned into a multi-storey.
    Just look at East Kilbride shopping centre, was only until a year or two ago, also owned by Land Securites. The entire centre has multi storeys surrounding it.

Also they could re develop the phase 1. Making the units bigger and also going up wards.
    Also the MacArther Glen Car Park including the big units of TX max etc. If they wanted to they could take them down.
    Quite exciting. Since about Phase 2 in '96 there has been delelopment after development. Also a new centre getting built :)
    Attachments
    potential sites for expansion.jpg

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Post » 27 Apr 2009, 20:20

good point paul then thay can link the center and MacArther Glen so you dont have to go out side but if that hapens thay shod make a bit out side where you can have a rest and fresh air from shoping

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Post » 27 Apr 2009, 23:54

Isnt the police station moving to the new civic centre as well? I always thought the plan was once it had moved to knock it down and extend the shopping centre to take up the land of the police station and temp car park where the bus station was.

Since they have bought Sidlaw House, that will be flattened and the centre extended to the land that sits on as once you take in the car part in front of it, its a fairly big plot of land.

Wouldnt surprise me if they make some deal with Pentland House to move the people to one of the many other unoccupied office blocks, then knock it down and redevelop that.

Dont they also have planning permission to bolt on shop units to the front of the new car park?
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Daniel ...

Post » 28 Apr 2009, 09:28

is west lothian house not a listed building or does it have some sort of status that will prevent them from knocking it down

• ado28 ...

Post » 29 Apr 2009, 14:25

I don't think it's listed but I would be sad to see it go as it's a kind of Landmark to the new town of Livingston

• Daniel ...

Post » 29 Apr 2009, 14:27

defenetly a landmark, one of the first things I remember about livingston

• Post » 29 Apr 2009, 23:11

That reminds me: camera! I must get down and get some shots in case the wrecking ball gets there first! :shock:
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Post » 01 May 2009, 20:07

Just to say aye, the Police will indeed be moving into the Civic Centre. Indeed, ALL aspects of civic life - Court, Council,Police etc - will be moving in there. WLH will be demolished soon after (well, soon in building terms :D ), to make for I don't know what.
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Previous

Return to Old Livingston / From the Past