Livingstoni • View topic - A trip to the centre, early 80s style.

It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 13:34

A trip to the centre, early 80s style.

Have you got an old photos to upload and share with everyone? or anything else related to livingston...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 11:33

Well then, how does this compare to now.....?

A Saturday Morning with £3 or £4 pocket money, and it's a lovely summer's morning. I might catch the bus down (15 pence from Craigshill for a half single). Then again, 15 pence can get some sweets so, I might walk down. Past Peoples garage, and the Hotel and flats don't yet exist - it's all barren. On the odd occassion, a run around the trim track mght be in order - this will probably be when the weather is poor, and you end up in the centre filthy from the wood chippings and jumping off the 'big jump'. Through two underpasses, and over the flyover that ran between the multi-story car park. Down and through the underground car park, and into the centre. Up the escalator (probably switched off so you just use it like a pathway). Where first? Maybe a look in Krackers.. I've been there. Round to John Menzies. Kids hanging around the latest technology - A BBC micro, ZX81 and VIC 20 are on display, with snazzy black and white portable tellys showing the latest software... Might buy some sweets. Over to RS McColl. After that, round to Rainbow records, where a look is had at the ex-chart singles - 50 pence each - maybe there's one I like, and it gets bought. Then, perhaps into Woolco. There's a Cafe near the back of the shop, and it does a nice roll and sausage, washed down with a cup of Coke. Chart singles come in at £1.20 - cheaper than Rainbow, so if there's one I like, it may get bought. AS I leave the centre, I might have a record, and some sort of toy - perhaps a gun that fires sticky arrows, a model plane kit, or just loads of sweets. As I leave the centre behind, I'm thinking about perhaps listening to my new record, or playing with whatever toy has been bought. It's a lot hotter, but' I have a can or bottle of juice - sometimes 'Top Deck' shandy, which is usually finished by the time I get home.
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• ado28 ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 13:43

Oh I do remember those memories well! I can remember the the cafe in Woolco was like being in jail with those brown wooden bars! Did you ever dig into a "Tattie scone roll" from the mobile snack van outside after going to the pictures on the weekend? I did!

Presto was at the end of the shopping centre and look at it now, it's in the middle! It's amazing how much the centre has changed in the last 25 years, it's quite an achievement and a success story really

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 14:31

Crikey aye. The CInema. Indiana Jones on a saturday afternoon.
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Paul ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 22:07

Memories... I used to do pritty much the same.. As a kid krackers was the best!! You felt rich that going in with a pound you could buy anything in the shop....
    Pandy Shandy from the old Superdrug.. Remember the old John menzies that went right through. Well i remember one sunday I walked though the shop and didnt relise that the door at the other side was closed. Me and my mate both walked head first into the door. Lucky it didnt smash... Was pritty sore. For some reason they closed one side on a Sunday.

Also remember the old boots store... That had two advertising windows on the side where the post boxes are. Had channel perfume in the window for about 10 years... long after it closed...

Anyone remember the cafe in the bus station... It had a Juke box... :-) Remember spending money on it... and the women who worked there used to turn it down cause they didnt like the music that was on lol

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• ado28 ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 23:20

I remember the Bus Station cafe very well. I used to spend allot of my time in there watching the buses roll in and out when I was skipping School. It was warm and pretty cheap. 10 Regal king size and a few cups of tea were usually on the menu! Little did I realise that one day I would be back in the bus station to haunt it again but this time as a driver, maybe I should not have skipped school after all lol

• Daniel ...

Post » 13 Dec 2008, 02:28

I vagly remember the bus station, I went on my first bus when it was leaving the bus station heading up to dedridge
    Does anyone here remember the bomb scare in woolworths, I don't remember much of it but I know that I was in ASDA at the time and we were told by armed police to leave the center immediatly

• Paul ...

Post » 13 Dec 2008, 10:43

Nope, but can remember the bomb scare a few years ago in Macarthur glen. Did a controlled expolosion and everything.

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Daniel ...

Post » 13 Dec 2008, 16:56

never knew about that one
    the woolies one I think was 97/98

• Paul ...

Post » 13 Dec 2008, 17:13

Do you remember the man who died in the centre when it first openned?
    He was trying to break-in through the Air vents and got stuck. They only found him when they started smelling a funny smell through the air vents.

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Daniel ...

Post » 13 Dec 2008, 17:54

what year was that as I first came through to livingston in 90/91 and I don't remember much but I do remember going to bubbles a couple of days after it opened

• Next

Return to Old Livingston / From the Past