Livingstoni • View topic - The old Livingston station...station

It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 13:38

The old Livingston station...station

Have you got an old photos to upload and share with everyone? or anything else related to livingston...

Andy ...

Post » 02 May 2009, 00:29

First of all hello! First post here, hopefully not the last.

I'm looking for information on the old station in deans, information is scarce as far as I can tell, but I am truly fascinated by this small piece of Livingston history. The Station was closed in 1948 for what I can assume was low passenger numbers/little profit.

People familiar with the Morrison's in Deans will hopefully recognize this photo. The only known photo of the old station? Anyone know the date the photo was taken? What became of the station house? A quick note regarding the picture. The platform where the three gentlemen are standing. Anyone know why the platform itself seems so short?

From Wikipedia: The only known piece of information about the station?
The original Livingston station was opened by the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway on 12 November 1849.[1] Between December 1875 and July 1925 its name was spelt "Livingstone". British Railways closed the station on 1 November 1948.[1] This station was situated 32 chains west of the present Livingston North station. The station had a single siding on the down line which served its goods yard. 19 chains west of the station, a tramway serving a limeworks crossed under the main railway, and formed an interchange with a set of sidings to transfer the traffic to rail. Also at this location was the West Lothian oil works.

So this is the site today, give or take a few years. Sources : Google Earth and Wikipedia.

Very little if anything appears to remain.

Basic map of Livingston station and the surrounding area circa 1923/24.

The red dot represents the station position. Note the sidings and tramworks west of the station.

The map is courtesy of The National Library of Scotland. I cannot recommend this site enough especially the map section.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/index.html

Any additional info would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• chrisb ...

Post » 02 May 2009, 19:01

Wow..didnt even know there was one there...good luck in your quest..very interesting.

• Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Paul ...

Post » 02 May 2009, 22:27

There isnt that much on the old station to be honest. Walk by it every day and never seen anything that makes me see where it has been.
    The building thats there just now is someones house. But at the other side of bridge theres a sign for "School House". Wonder what side the platform was.
    01110201.jpg
    Only plan i could find of the old station
    Attachments
    02200349.jpg
    Think its the opening of Livingston South Train station
    02200337.jpg
    First Train to Livingston
    02200331.jpg
    Livingston South Station being constucted

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Paul ...

Post » 02 May 2009, 22:41

Think this is the angle
    Attachments
    zoom.jpg

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Andy ...

Post » 02 May 2009, 23:35

Fantastic post Paul

paul wrote:There isnt that much on the old station to be honest. Walk by it every day and never seen anything that makes me see where it has been.

Shame that to be honest, perhaps it's the lack of info on the station that has me intrigued. Also the picture you posted after the plan. Pretty sure that is Livingston North. The road bridge is pictured in the background. Any idea why they choose that site for the new station rather than the old one?

Wondering If the Library might have some old books/plans about Livingston. Not been in there for years mind you.

Here's another picture of the site. Nothing remaining it would appear.
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Post » 04 May 2009, 22:34

Hi Andy/all

The old photo was taken in about 1915 IIRC. The station closed as you correctly state due to lack of use.

To put it in context, it served the community of Livingston Station - of course the new town was non existant.

Just west of the station, there were lots of sidings into the west lothian oilworks, and more lines from a limeworks south of the line. you can see in the old image some wagons - the station had it's own goods yard (everything went by rail then).

To give you some idea, there were about twice as many goods trains on the line in 1896 compared to passenger trains. The platform seems short, but is long enough for the passenger trains on the line that stopped there.

Here is a small selection of train times from 1896:

Note that these are all goods trains 'through the night'

12.43AM to Dundee
    01.34AM to Kipps (Coatbridge)
    01.44AM to Millerhill (Edinburgh)
    03.59AM to Leith
    04.05AM to Coatbridge
    04.39AM to Hawick

The first passenger train in the morning for Edinburgh left at 08.23 and arrived at 09.04 in Waverley - a very respectable time compared to using the bus today - given this is 1896 we are talking about!

The new station was sited at Carmondean for ease of access basically.
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Andy ...

Post » 04 May 2009, 23:22

Forthbridge, thank you for the post. Fascinating read. Never knew the bridges were that old. Used to have two just past Livingston North before the Airdie-Bathgate line started. I remember the bridge closest to the station becoming unstable. Cyclists were forbidden to use it. Eventually it was closed off to everyone. Used to get ridiculously grassy in the summer.

Mind If I ask where you got the information? Found it near on impossible myself to find anything about the subject myself. Exclusively searched the internet so that was probably my downfall.
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Post » 04 May 2009, 23:46

HI Andy,

I've a lot of old maps, and an old North British railway working timetable from 1896.

The old bridge you mention near Livingston North was (like the one at Camps Rigg, Knightsridge and more) built for farm use. It was 'blocked' around the early 1980s if I remember ((mainly as there was nothing sout of there - it was all fields and the houses were at Camps Rigg - plus the path ran alongside Deans Road).

The pic of Rifkind with the scissors is at Livingston North (road bridge is behind him) - the train with 'Livingston Link' is South station.

EDIT
    Just to add a couple of things. There was another 'old' station 'Newpark' where Muirieston is now (a little west of Livingston South).

Apart from official photos, very few of these places are captured on film. for instance, not many people could afford cameras and film back then, and if you put it in today's context: there were LOTS of railways and it was part of every day life. Bathgate for instance was a very busy railway town, yet very few images show the 'everyday' scene from those times. These days, a digital pic cost virtually nothing, but even so there are lots of things we 'ignore' as too boring or not interesting. I wish myself I'd taken more pics in Livi year ago to show just what has changed - now it's impossible to go back!
    As for the railway - before Livingston North opened in 1986 - the line WAS double track all the way through - I used to see long trains going to and from Bathgate all the time, but it was 'everyday' so not interesting at the time. Until 1982, trains could still go to Glasgow then they pulled the line up. But I don't think there's a single picture anywhere of a train from the any year going through Livingston until about the time the new station opened, as it was 'interesting' - it just goes to show that what seems 'daft' and boring to photograph can actually be useful!
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Andy ...

Post » 07 May 2009, 16:42

Just had a look on the WLC site. Appears to be around 4/5 official photos of Livingston station but they have to be requested. Can't view them. Never actually knew about the old New Park station Forthbridge. Learn something new everyday. Good post once again
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• peter1 ...

Post » 18 May 2009, 08:55

I cant belive there isnt more photos of this old station. :(
    Be good if they made it a stop on the new Edinburgh to Airdrie Line. Plenty space round about for carparking and that.

• Established Member
    Established Member

• Next

Return to Old Livingston / From the Past