Livingstoni • View topic - Almondvale tragedy

It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:01

Almondvale tragedy

Have you got an old photos to upload and share with everyone? or anything else related to livingston...

fox1 ...

Post » 04 May 2009, 21:20

Anyone remember the tragedy of some 25+ years ago when a poor chap got trapped in the ventilation shafts of Almondvale shopping centre.? It took weeks to discover the source of the unpleasantness that lingered over the centre for weeks. Not a pleasant subject but one wonders how it was reported in the local press of the day.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• Paul ...

Post » 04 May 2009, 22:21

Hi Fox1

There been talk about it here
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=240&start=10

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• fox1 ...

Post » 05 May 2009, 09:02

Amazing that his pal never reported the incident, even anonymously. could have saved the guy's life.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• alex ...

Post » 07 Aug 2010, 15:37

It looks like this thread is one that has been affected by the technical problems of August 2010, for I remember replying to it and my reply is now gone.

Around that time, the mid-seventies, we lived in Craigshill, my wife worked in the Woolco department store in the Almondvale Centre. There had been a series of thefts from the store, and no one knew how the thefts were happening, though staff theft was suspected. It turned out that a man had been getting in to the store during the night by climbing into the ventilation ducts, opening the grill, getting in to the store, and making his escape the same way. Eventually, the thefts stopped. Some time later, a sickening smell permeating through the store was traced to the ventilation shafts, and it was on investigation that the grim discovery was made : the smell was the badly decomposing body of the thief. It seemed that he'd been crawling along one of the horizontal shafts when he accidentally fell head first down a vertical shaft, and was immobilised and unable to extricate himself. Unfortunately, he eventually died in that position. Staff in the store later said they'd heard noises coming from the air vents, but didn't know what they were nor recognised them as the hapless man's calls for help.
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• scot ...

Post » 09 Sep 2010, 09:35

i was about 9 or 10 but i remember a few of us went up there the day after the guy was found, there was still lots of police & firemen about, the shaft was still there until they knocked down the old asda to build the new one, i used to look at it when i drove past years later! it was reported in the livingston post with a diagram on the front page showing the position of the poor guy lying upside down trapped!
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Return to Old Livingston / From the Past