Livingstoni • View topic - Concrete sculptures in the town

It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 13:33

Concrete sculptures in the town

Have you got an old photos to upload and share with everyone? or anything else related to livingston...

stevie ...

Post » 03 Oct 2010, 11:15

When I was growing up in Livingston I remember there being loads of little concrete oddities dotted around the housing schemes. I remember there being a couple of concrete crocodiles in Camps Rigg, think there was a mouse and cheese in Raeburn Rigg, the concrete sheep at the Lanthorn (which are still there), I seem to vaguely remember some giant feet somewhere but can't remember where.

Does anybody know if any of these things are still around? I'm working on a photography project just now and would love to find out if any of them are still around. I went and had a very quick look in Camps Rigg for the crocodiles, but they weren't where I thought they used to be, but bearing in mind that was 20-odd, nearly 30 years ago my memory may be a bit off!

Somebody mentioned they thought there might have been a mouse somewhere in Ladywell.

Any ideas?
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Post » 03 Oct 2010, 12:03

Stevie

Was the big feet not in Edinburgh across from Playhouse in front of the church next to John Lewis. Think there are large hands in the same place, know the artist died recently.

Livilad

• Frequent Member
    Frequent Member

• stevie ...

Post » 03 Oct 2010, 12:26

livilad wrote:Stevie

Was the big feet not in Edinburgh across from Playhouse in front of the church next to John Lewis. Think there are large hands in the same place, know the artist died recently.

Livilad

Those are Eduardo Paolozzi's finger and foot.

I'm positive there were sort of orangey concrete feet somewhere in Livi, I seem to remember them being about three foot tall and climbing (and falling off them) on them when I was younger.
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Post » 03 Oct 2010, 19:22

There is a dark pinky-orangey foot which has pretty entirely eroded its surface at the south entrance to the Lanthorn Community Centre in Dedridge, and there is also three concrete sheep there too.

There's also a weird concrete (I think) totem pole on the main Howden path.

Will let you know of anymore I can think of if I do.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• Post » 03 Oct 2010, 21:27

there is also the large blocks in dedridge at the bottom of kenilworth rise. they were called them the cheeses
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• stevie ...

Post » 04 Oct 2010, 00:56

Livi Crazy wrote:There is a dark pinky-orangey foot which has pretty entirely eroded its surface at the south entrance to the Lanthorn Community Centre in Dedridge, and there is also three concrete sheep there too.

There's also a weird concrete (I think) totem pole on the main Howden path.

Will let you know of anymore I can think of if I do.

Thanks :) I've seen the sheep at the Lanthorn but not the foot - must go for a wander round. Someone else just told me about the concrete totem pole in Howden, will go for a wander down that way with the dog and have a look.

doyle19 wrote:there is also the large blocks in dedridge at the bottom of kenilworth rise. they were called them the cheeses

Thanks doyle19 - was down that way today and spotted them, near where Lammermuir House used to be?

I found a few photos online of some of the smaller bits dotted around housing estates:

Not sure where this one was taken, think it looks a bit like Carmondean somwhere, maybe Fells/Raeburn Rigg, or maybe around Craigswood somewhere?

Again, not 100% on the location of this one, but the house in the background looks a bit like the ones down near Mill Farm, although there are other houses of that style in Livi. Any ideas?

This one is definitely Livi Village - that's the Livi Inn on the left and the white building is the old school house. Anybody know if that's still there? I think there were feet dotted around the town. Livi Crazy - is that like the one up at the Lanthorn?
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Paul ...

Post » 05 Oct 2010, 09:03

They were all designed by town artist for the LDC Dennis Barnes.
    A lot of the sculptures have since been taken down... Shame..

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• scot ...

Post » 11 Oct 2010, 08:42

The concrete crocodiles were in Fells rigg! i lived in number 80 and they were along to the left as you came out the house in a little square! there no longer there but you can still see the shape of them on the tar!
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• chrisb ...

Post » 11 Oct 2010, 10:01

Hi..i remember the feet in the tower car park in craigshill and the egyptian paintings in the tunnels.

• Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• ado28 ...

Post » 11 Oct 2010, 22:36

The Cheese blocks (cheesie's as we called them) are still at the foot of Dedridge East near the old Lammermuir building. There was concrete frogs in Ravenswood but they have since been eroded and vandalised away to nothing.

• Next

Return to Old Livingston / From the Past