Livingstoni • View topic - Old picture of the Centre

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 21:25

Old picture of the Centre

Have you got an old photos to upload and share with everyone? or anything else related to livingston...

Paul ...

Post » 15 Jun 2008, 14:30

What you think of the old picture of the centre?
Anyone got any other photos?
Attachments
big livi1 (19).jpg
Old livingston
big livi1 (19).jpg (88.18 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• A guest

Post » 20 Jun 2008, 11:43

Ooooo i remember those big tubes with the tanned perspex roofs, and the V dodgy car park where asda is now lol

ado28 ...

Post » 26 Oct 2008, 13:56

It would be a shame to see these buildings being demolished as they are part of Livingston, sort of landmarks I feel. I’m very sure that these buildings could be cleaned up and restored back to their former glory.

• Post » 26 Oct 2008, 20:22

Its a shame that they have to go tbh, but I remember I did my work experience in school at West Lothian House 5 years ago, and speaking to Graham Morrice, just when the plans for the new civic centre were being discussed. Basically the problem with the old buildings is the smae problem they have had with some of the High Schools, they were poorly built and would cost far more to do up than to just demolish and build something new.

Ultimately we've got to move with the times, and its time to move on, the new Civic centre looks brilliant I have to say, and it will be the end of West Lothian House and Pentland House, which are ugly buildings, it will be interesting what the guage maximum size on now, I know it used to be that no building in Livingston was allowed to be higher (from ground to top) than West Lothian House.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• ado28 ...

Post » 27 Oct 2008, 12:11

Yeah your words ring true Livicrazy, most of these buildings were kits/ prefabs and build quality was not their strongest point. I wonder what will replace it when it finally does bite the dust

• ado28 ...

Post » 27 Oct 2008, 12:18

A guest wrote:Ooooo i remember those big tubes with the tanned perspex roofs, and the V dodgy car park where asda is now lol

When I was a child my mates and I just called these “the tubes” lol. We would usually get on our skateboard from the top of the old Multi-storey car park and skate all the way down usually impaling ourselves in the wall at each level as you could pick up some speed going gown the ramps!

We would also skate from the car park right up to the post office and by the time you had done the length your feet would tingle due to the surface on the floor! As time went on the plastic tubes began to get weathered and badly scratched until they ultimately became an eyesore and this combined with the smell or urine didn’t make it very appealing to people using the shops. At the time they were a nice design feature but soon outstayed their welcome.

• Return to Old Livingston / From the Past