Livingstoni • View topic - Lets Save Howden House

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 21:33

Lets Save Howden House

Chat about anything Livingston related

Paul ...

Post » 18 Apr 2009, 18:24

Right guys!
We need to save Howden House.
The building is beginning to look really bad and possibly end up set on fire and brought to the ground.
The House over the last 10 years has become really bad condition, in such a condition that it cant be entered by anyone that's not wearing hard hats.
Brief History to the house
"Howden house was completed in 1795 and has had many owners throughout its many years. But in 1964 the Carnegie trust gave a grant of £12,000 to convert the house from offices into a community centre for the new town of Livingston. "
Since then the House has been the centre piece for Galas and also art exhibition etc.
So damp started to set in and the top floor and the flooring was lifted due to rot and was unusable.
Recently there's been fires in the house and the stair case and caved in.
Lets try and do something. ~Spread the word via e-mail to people you know to come on here and sign there name to this forum.
Add all your comments to this forum of what you would like to see and when we reach enough people then we will send it to West Lothian Council.
Come on guys :)

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Paul ...

Post » 18 Apr 2009, 18:25

E-mail recevied from Livingstoni Visitor:

FirstLastName = Kenneth Reynolds
    Email = removed@hotmail.com
    Message = Trying to find information on a history of Howden House but there seems very little to be found?When you see the money that has been spent in the last few years on the re-development of Livingston,the money that has been spent on the new Civic centre and what has been spent on the Mews,why can't Howden House be re-developed in some way,it's such a beautiful building in a prime location just going to waste,the cost of security over the last few years must have been a fantastic ammount of money,with the fancy new Civic centre and Livingston Designer outlet Howden House is set to become an eye sore to the rest of Livingston surley something can be done to save such a wonderful old building,look at Blackburn House as an example. Thank you for using Bravenet Email Form Processing!

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Paul ...

Post » 19 Apr 2009, 11:18

Some old pics of Howden House
    Attachments
    howdenhouse3.jpg
    howdenhouse2.jpg
    howdenhouse1.jpg

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Post » 19 Apr 2009, 16:03

save Howden House.
    John Graham Duncan McCabe
    Craigshill
    Attachments
    SHH.png

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Daniel ...

Post » 19 Apr 2009, 16:29

Howden House is an amazing place
    wonderfull views of livingston from there and what a wonderful place that would be for a visitors center or a hotel or even a home
    lets save howden house

• Paul ...

Post » 19 Apr 2009, 19:19

Daniel wrote:Howden House is an amazing place
    wonderfull views of livingston from there and what a wonderful place that would be for a visitors center or a hotel or even a home
    lets save howden house

Some good Ideas.. West Lothian Council Own it. I think it should be something that the community could use.
    I think a community centre would be great. Nice bit of land to the rear to extend or to add football pitches etc. Nice hidding away and wont harm the view of the house.
    I think also something like polkemmet. Make a large adventure play ground to the Rear. Open up the rose garden as a picnic area. With a nice pub/ Cafe or resturant in the house.
    So many ideas. Only if the Council would allow it to happen.
    But not to fond on it being flats. But only as a last resort to save the place.

SAVE Howden House!!!

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Post » 20 Apr 2009, 14:10

i agree wi paul, should be used for the community, livingston severly lacks things for the kids. ive got pics somewhere of when the Queen :shock: of all people was at the house. SO WE CANT LET IT BE UNUSED!!

im a childminder :roll: and often go to howden park from c-hill as its massive. spent a good deal of my childhood there too, as it was still open, i remember my grandad (who helped set up mews theatre arts in 70's) having an art exhibition inside the house and it all being very grand back then, shame its been left to this!!

yeh lets save it lol, i'll start a protest outside it lol!! laugh .......but we could campain to save it lol weekend marches at the park lol!! i dont see why we couldnt !!!!!!!

SAVE THE HOUSE!!! :P

• Established Member
    Established Member

• Paul ...

Post » 20 Apr 2009, 18:56

Some pictures posted by "forthbridge" of Howden House.
    Im atually shocked... Didnt relise it was that bad!! :O

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• ado28 ...

Post » 20 Apr 2009, 22:35

I didn't realise that the building was in that sad condition. I can't see WLC doing anything about it as I feel they are the worst thing that has happened to Livingston (bring back LDC)

It would be nice to see the building preserved and turned into a museum detailing Livingston's success story, history and growth but somehow I can't see WLC being interested in it.

• Paul ...

Post » 21 Apr 2009, 18:57

Hey guys, just sent this e-mail to peter Johnstone Head of West Lothian Council.
    What do you think? Think anything will come from it?

Dear Mr Johnston

I'm contacting you on behalf of Livingstoni.co.uk On-line Forum. Its a community website where local people have there say on things that matter to them in Livingston.
    Might be worth a visit to see what the local people are wanting.
    The main reason we have decided to contact you as we have all noticed that West Lothian Council has neglected Howden House since they came into existence.
    The House is a landmark in Livingston, which has been deteriorating by the day for the last decade.
    West Lothian Council have spent millions on a HQ Civic Centre which all in all was not a decision made by the SNP. But never the less the money has been spent. The brand new Civic Centre faces onto the eye sore that has become from Howden House.
    There has been a few suggestion from forum member to what they would like to see the house turned into. Such as.
    The Local People want the house to be turned into a local museum detailing the past and the recent 40+ years success story of Livingston. Why cant the council apply for Lottery funding and transform this house into something that the community can be proud off.
    Secondly there has been the idea of turning it into a public house/ Restaurant/ Café?
    Hotel/ Guest House
    Community Centre, can be expanded at the back to offer football pitches etc.

There might be many suggestion which have come up over the years and also on the forum. But if you ask anyone from Livingston to name one landmark other than the centre building and Howden House will always be in the top of there list.
    The main thing that people want is for the house to be preserved and restored to its original state. The House has a lot of potential to be expanded at the rear with the historic front remaining in place.
    As Livingston is a new town and like many new towns landmarks are hard to come by, with the amount of mirror imaged streets and roads, I personally feel its refreshing to see something that's old and has such a history to be in the middle of a busy modern town.
    Can this be looked into and see what can be done. I've seen plans for the house to be turned into housing etc. But please, please only create housing as a last resort.
    I've always been Labour personally, but if the SNP did something to preserve this West Lothian Historic House, I would vote for SNP without a second thought.
    If things continue at the rate they are the now, Howden house will be brought to the ground by thugs/ youths setting fire or because of non existent upkeep.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this letter Mr Johnstone and hope to here from you soon.

Kind Regards
    For and on behalf of Livingstoni.co.uk Forum members.

P. Gibson
    Livingstoni.co.uk

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Next

Return to General Discussion