Livingstoni • View topic - Lets Save Howden House

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 21:21

Lets Save Howden House

Chat about anything Livingston related

Post » 22 Apr 2009, 21:29

iel make the bebo Group up for it then paul if you want to be a mod on the Group? what pic pics do yous want for the skin of the Group?
and what do yous think of this

Lets Save Howden House For The Past Present And Future Livingston Generations
its Time To Make Livingston Glow and thrive agen

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• ado28 ...

Post » 24 Apr 2009, 01:52

xnoddyx wrote:
    hi ado28 i have put links from
    Almond Housing Association Tenants forum
    Almond Housing Tenants Group on bebo
    Almond Housing Tenants Group on tagged<<<NEW!
    to this topic

Nice one! The face book/ bebo page/ group is a great idea and i'm sure Paul and other members here would love to get involved with it. I am really busy with work commitments just now so it's very hard for me to find time to promote the worthy cause but I will certainly do what I can to help out.

Keep up the good work guys and here's hoping we can save this landmark for future generations to enjoy and benefit from.

Sean

• Post » 24 Apr 2009, 12:15

bebo for Save Howden House
    www.bebo.com/SAVEHH <<still needs work.

facebook,tagged to come and any more i can think of or you can just post them :D

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Daniel ...

Post » 24 Apr 2009, 23:46

I attempted to create a petition to see if the goverment would help save howden house but the rejected it but suggested that I contact Historic Scotland so I am going to send them an email tommorrow

• Post » 25 Apr 2009, 00:22

Daniel wrote:I attempted to create a petition to see if the goverment would help save howden house but the rejected it but suggested that I contact Historic Scotland so I am going to send them an email tommorrow

cool i hope that helps us out ;)

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Post » 25 Apr 2009, 02:19

oks thats me made the skin for Save Howden House on bebo have a look and let me know what you think of it
    http://www.bebo.com/SAVEHH
    its now on tagged
    http://www.tagged.com/savehh

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Post » 29 Apr 2009, 16:58

hi guys,
    can we not see about gettin a donation of a large banner to go across the roof of HH. saying.... SAVE HOWDEN HOUSE CONTACT: (this website)!!! i think advertising the fact that the house is in ruins and there are actually people wanting/interested in save it, might have an effect!! the general public wont bother about things like this unless we market it!! leaflets are easy to print off and hand out... not a problem for myself and other people i know who are up for this lol!! we need to find out who owns it tho... dunno how you's are gettin on but i cant find nothing really. we just feel that publicicing the fact might have bigger impact? louxx :)

• Established Member
    Established Member

• Post » 29 Apr 2009, 17:55

hi louisec-hill
    louisec-hill wrote:hi guys,
    can we not see about gettin a donation of a large banner to go across the roof of HH.

i dont think that the roof of Howden House is safe thow
    leaflets are easy to print off
    i think that is a good idea but it costs
    but i have been thinking of sending E-mails to local business and asking for support

and the most resent info that i can find on who owns Howden House is
    xnoddyx wrote:most resint info i can find on Howden House is

from: http://www.ukbusinessproperty.co.uk/?pa ... s&id=26506
    Description
    This property is offered for sale Last verified 23 July 2008 For further information on the sale price please contact the selling agent. Further details are available upon application to the marketing agent.

Comments
    Howden House is set in the beautiful parkland of the Howden Park and displays a fine stone façade of a former mansion house.
    Howden House has a superb outlook over Howden Park and comprises a former mansion house arranged over the ground, first and second floors of a substantial stone and brick built building under a pitched slate roof.
    The proposal was to redevelop the existing Howden House carrying out a full residential refurbishment of the property to form flats and construct residential accommodation to the rear of the main building. Architect’s drawings prepared by WWA Architects, Giles Street Studios, 99 Giles Street, Edinburgh EH6 6BZ are available.
    The proposal comprised a three phased development totalling 17 residential units at the site.
    Howden House is located in Livingston, forming the New Town strategically located in the M8 Corridor approximately 18 miles east of Edinburgh and 30 miles to the west of Glasgow.
    More precisely, Howden House is located in the Howden area of Livingston close to St John’s Hospital and to the north of Howden South Road.

Property Parts
    0.92 Acre Site 40,077 Sq Feet

Features
    Multi-storey Layout

Notice
    Unless otherwise indicated, all information displayed is copyright © 2008 Scottish Property Network Limited. Information provided, including information on any property identified as available for sale, lease or disposal can not be guaranteed accurate and should not be regarded as an offer to sell, lease, or otherwise dispose of that property.

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Post » 29 Apr 2009, 23:42

HI all,

Just wanted to say that I remember a time when Howden house was used for all sorts of events. It is incredibly sad to read of it's present state. It was (still is) a beautiful place, part of Livingston's heritage and culture. I always thought of Howden house as being a "hub" of Livingston. (trying to find the right phrase here, but I'm sure you all know what I mean)
    It should be preserved, it has such presence and grounds are beautiful;- which should not be used by developers, for building some tacky apartments blocks. I just can't understand why the LDC/West Lothian Council would allow it to decay.

Lovely pictures, but just rotten to see it in such a bad state.

Outatown
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Post » 07 May 2009, 21:53

Hi all,

Found this very worthy forum set up on the current state of Howden House. I wanted to bring as many people up to date as the last post was on the 29th April. Since then and all through this current week there has been daily activity by youths gaining entry into the House and I fear like many it is only a matter of time before this iconic centre piece in Livingston is destroyed. I myself visited Peter Johnston at his weekly surgery last week voicing my concerns for not only the House but the general up keep of the Park. And would willingly joint any group who want to collectively meet to discuss strategy on any steps we could take to really get someone moving on this. This evening, I am emailing Peter again highlighting the building is insecure to see what pressure the Council can put upon the owners to again visit the house and secure it.

Also Heritage Scotland seems a great place to start to see if there support can be called upon.

Michael.

• PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion