Livingstoni • View topic - Griting stuff this grit

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 21:33

Griting stuff this grit

Chat about anything Livingston related

Post » 16 Dec 2010, 21:54

i went down to my sons nativity play at his nursery walking on the snow that had come down to day and was thinking that the griter will be out soon well after theend of the nativity play on the way back up the griter had been thinking least it wont be slipry when i pick the older two kids up as it was feeling frosty time to get the kids and my god how slipry it was the grit had frosted and iced over so i stopd to look at the grit and what did i see what lookd like football pitch grit just a bit bigger than the normall that you get on a pitch and did not see any salt in it and it relly shoud have been rock salt that was geting grited not the cr@# that went down and how meny time have thay put that down when it shod be rock salt its know wunder that West Lothian roads have went the way thay have if this is whats been going down what have WLC been doing with the rock salt or have thay just put the ££££££ for the rock salt into their back pockets least i know why thay wont tell me where the grit bins are as thay know that theres no rock salt in them :evil: :evil: :evil:

but thats anuf of me what do you think?

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Daniel ...

Post » 17 Dec 2010, 01:15

the stuff that they are using is a mix of salt concrete and soemthing else that I can't remember
    the reason being is that when the snow melts and takes the rock salt into the drains it causes major problems also the rock salt can corode the tarmac so they trialed the salt mix last year, it is atually more expensive than rock salt but does the job better

• Post » 17 Dec 2010, 11:38

Daniel wrote:the stuff that they are using is a mix of salt concrete and soemthing else that I can't remember
    the reason being is that when the snow melts and takes the rock salt into the drains it causes major problems also the rock salt can corode the tarmac so they trialed the salt mix last year, it is atually more expensive than rock salt but does the job better

no i can ashore you it def has no salt in it it is more or les football pitch grit and when i went to put it on fixmystreet someone had all redy put it on http://www.fixmystreet.com/report/148326

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Post » 17 Dec 2010, 12:16

Daniel wrote:also the rock salt can corode the tarmac

yes that is the grit thats in the rock salt or Halite, commonly known as rock salt allso commonly uesd as table salt which is manly sodium chloride as ppl walk on it just like uesing sand paper on the tarmac
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halite

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• Post » 30 Jan 2011, 06:42

I can remember the concrete/salt mix from last year it was amazing at gripping on the ice it felt just like a normal path albeit a bit wobbly but the council have really been duped this year it's not salt at all it's actually just red pebbledashing and does nothing heck my streets still covered with the stuff
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Post » 30 Jan 2011, 23:41

BLACKKKNIGHT wrote:I can remember the concrete/salt mix from last year it was amazing at gripping on the ice it felt just like a normal path albeit a bit wobbly but the council have really been duped this year it's not salt at all it's actually just red pebbledashing and does nothing heck my streets still covered with the stuff

yer its evry where and my son has sliptd on it more than ones and skint his knees the way its looking the now it will prob be there next xmas as well :(

• Highly Valued Member
    Highly Valued Member

• stevie ...

Post » 17 Feb 2011, 18:43

xnoddyx wrote:yer its evry where and my son has sliptd on it more than ones and skint his knees the way its looking the now it will prob be there next xmas as well :(

Maybe that's the plan, cover the place with the stuff now and it'll still be there next winter, and the winter after and the winter after that. Save some cash!
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Post » 21 Feb 2011, 19:26

The Gravel is a mess...
    heres a photo i took today. just as hard as ice to walk on!
    Attachments
    IMAG0086.jpg

• New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Return to General Discussion