Livingstoni • View topic - Passenger Travel

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 21:20

Passenger Travel

Chat about anything Livingston related

Post » 19 Jan 2011, 14:53

Just for info of anyone using any of the Passenger Travel services. The company's licence has sadly been revoked by the Traffic Commissioner and the company will cease operating services on Monday 24th January.

The services operated by this company appear to be getting taken over by First, which I presume sadly means an end to the low fares that were operated on these routes. At the moment the timetables are being kept the same, but again I suspect in 6months at the time of the next Timetable change I expect that the timetables will be extended again so that it's yet another route that drives along at 10miles an hour because the timetable is too long.

A sad loss of jobs and good affordable links being lost here in what I consider to be a poor decision by the Traffic Commissioner, and have complained to my local MSP accordingly.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• Post » 21 Jan 2011, 20:31

I spoke to a First representative who was operating the 600 today along with the driver who assured me that for now the services will continue to operate with the same fares and timetables. I really hope that this is the case as for example the 800 is a very quick link between Livingston and Bathgate, taking 8minutes less than the quickest First bus (the 26 which operates a slightly shorter route). I presume First will gradually increase the timetable to allow driver change which was something Passenger Travel did not do, but I hope they do not extend it to the extent that some routes have been, such as the 28 which now takes 50mins from Bathgate to Livingston (up from 35 in 2005).

In the meantime, I have requested West Lothian Council to inform the public, which apparently they released a press statement in December, though the press clearly only took the half about the end of Passenger Travel and not the taking over of the services by First. It has been put on the WLC website again, but I have suggested it is put on the WLC Facebook page as that is followed by many.

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/siteconte ... usservices
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• ado28 ...

Post » 22 Jan 2011, 14:56

First have been running the 800/850 service for the last week as Passenger couldn't run it due to staff leaving. There will no doubt be a timetable alteration to the running times within the next 2 months I would imagine. I can also confirm that the fares are the exact same as WLC/ passengers fare structure. First have drafted in a couple of Optares and some short pointers for the job along with a couple of Marshall bodied darts

• Post » 22 Jan 2011, 15:04

Cheers for the update.

It will be a massive relief (not for me personally as I will get the First services on my pass) but to the majority of passengers. As Passenger were the cheapest in the county for example offering Livingston to Bathgate for just £1.70 (which I believe is around a pound cheaper than First).

It's good they have drafted in a few smaller buses for the routes, was not looking forward to seeing some of the First buses trying to coordinate round the poorly parked cars of Carmondean (assuming they are keeping exactly the same route on the 800).

Although I am disappointed to see it go to First, but am glad to see the routes continue and I can see why, as they are the only operator (maybe Horsburgh) with a large enough fleet of licenced buses to take on 8 routes at such short notice.

It must be soul destroying to have to drive the buses when you know your out of a job in 3 or 4 days time, particularly a job where you have to be so engaged at all times to the roads around.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• Paul ...

Post » 22 Jan 2011, 18:41

I seen a passenger bus in deans today. Think its number was the 800, is first using there buses for now?

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• ado28 ...

Post » 23 Jan 2011, 03:01

paul wrote:I seen a passenger bus in deans today. Think its number was the 800, is first using there buses for now?

HI Paul,

First aren't using Passengers buses as were using our own. I would persume that the Passenger routes will go out to tender in April so that the other operators can get a chance to put in for it. AFAIK the prices are set out by WLC as the routes are operated on behalf of WLC

• Post » 01 Apr 2011, 20:02

Well as predicted First have pissed about with the timetable for the 800 to accommodate their driver change but instead of just extending slightly they completely change it.

However, the good news is, Airdrie based company Stepend Coaches have set up on service 800 too, running roughly the same timetable and timetable length as Passenger Travel used to run.

First - Livingston to Blackridge
    First - Blackridge to Livingston
    Stepend - Livingston to Blackridge
    Stepend - Blackridge to Livingston
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• Post » 01 Apr 2011, 20:17

OK, it seems the fight is on, First are doubling the service on the 800 apparently later this month, running every half hour. Its like the companies are finally seeing why Passenger ran this service for so long.
  • Enthusiastic Member
    Enthusiastic Member

• Return to General Discussion