Livingstoni • View topic - Old shops and old pictures of in the centre

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 18:45

Old shops and old pictures of in the centre

Talk about anything to do with shopping within livingston. From new shops coming to Livingston or old shops that used to be here.

Daniel ...

Post » 09 Oct 2008, 14:16

My mum remembers when she first came to livi for a visit in 1989 presto was there & there was an escalator to the upper floor. Also the old asda presto under store car park with its nightmare pillers

• Post » 11 Dec 2008, 23:29

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but this is really nostalgic. It's amazing how many different shops have been and gone in the centre over the years. Others I remember, but unfortunately not all the names, are -

- The Jade Chinese restaurant.
    - The opticians that were in the same part of the centre as the original Krackers was (wasn't that a teeny unit?).
    - MVC.
    - A fruit and veg shop, which I'm almost sure was where Holland and Barrett are now.
    - The shoe shop where BBs is now.
    - There was a wee card shop opposite Asda, which I'm sure was owned by the same guy that owned Rainbow.
    - Granada ~ my mum used to hire our telly from there.
    - The cinema next to the bingo.

Not a shop, but I remember the escalator to get down to the Woolco/Gateway and possibly original Asda carpark, which was where Symingtons is now. Ahhh, memories. Woolco is still sorely missed :( I wasn't bothered that much about Presto, but it was handy to nip in there to avoid the Asda queues just before Christmas.

Any idea when that pic of Capital was taken? I might have been working inside there at the time :lol:
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Post » 11 Dec 2008, 23:36

Just remembered The Bubble Barn hairdressers, which was opposite WEW.

I feel soooo old! :lol:
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 00:11

8-) Aaah! The escalators!

They lad to an underground car park (below Woolco). The were 'flat' (IE not stepped) and if you had one of those Parka jackets, you could take it off, sit on it and have a brilliant slide down!!!!!
    The underground car park will always come back to me in the form of the white walls and smell of exhaust fumes - but funnily enough also the excitement of having a look round the shos! :lol:

Come to think of it, with the right shoes, the brown tiles on the original centre floor were good for a slide!
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 01:22

The centre was more child friendly years ago :lol: Especially when they had those huge square pots on frames (I'm sure they were yellow and held artificial plants). They were great for climbing on.
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Paul ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 09:43

Want the fruit and veg shop called "Pattersons".
    Even some newer shops from the 90's such as 'What EveryOne Wants' Seams like a life time since that was there.
    Remember the old halifax where next was.

One of the best shops was ' Krackers' Was the smallest shop ever but sold everyting. What ever happened to it? Did they go bust?

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 11:23

Krackers morphed into a 99p shop. After that, I think they just lost out to the bigger 'cheap' shops. Aaaah! The smell of Tabac aftershave, or Burley Sport for 99p!!!!

About the longest 'gong concern' would be the Paraffin Lamp, and one or two of the banks.
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 12:13

paul wrote:Want the fruit and veg shop called "Pattersons".

It could very well have been. I remember the inside of the shop quite vividly (I remember having a sniff at a bit of fennel when I heard it smelled like aniseed :roll: ), but the name still escapes me.

Remember the old halifax where next was.

Isn't that where RS MCColl and then the smaller John Menzies was? On the corner.

One of the best shops was ' Krackers' Was the smallest shop ever but sold everyting. What ever happened to it? Did they go bust?

It moved into the old Superdrug unit, which had moved into the old Argos unit once phase 2 was completed.

Just remembered Fads, which used be called something like Decor8, and Terleys.
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Paul ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 12:50

Memories.. just wished someone had some more photos of the centre.. Be cool to see....

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• ado28 ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 13:50

I can remember when the Bank of Scotland outside was just grass! :shock: You used to chain your bike up to the forks outside and there was a post box there too. Sometimes I would chain my bike up next to the old escalators on the ramp leading down to the underground car park.

• PreviousNext

Return to Shopping