Livingstoni • View topic - Old shops and old pictures of in the centre

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 17:12

Old shops and old pictures of in the centre

Talk about anything to do with shopping within livingston. From new shops coming to Livingston or old shops that used to be here.

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 14:30

The old bank of Scotland was opposite Presto, while the Royal is where it's always been. Who remembers the Cash machines that had a sort of viewer that you moved up and down to see what your balance was, a single line orange dot matrix display - no telly-screen! (I used to think the smoked glass cover that slid over the keypads were cool!) :oops:
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 14:31

That the odd thing. I can remember the BoS being inside the centre, but find it hard to remember what it was like when the current building wasn't there.
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Post » 12 Dec 2008, 14:34

Funny that, lots of places I feel the same about in Livi. Where BOS is now was as you say just grass, around 1988 the new building opened. The old bank was tiny. Think it's either the O2 shop, or it's been merged into neighbouring units. Fine Fare was the big place behind it, and I can't think off-hand if any shop other than fine-fare was nearer the cinema exit than the bank - and I used to work in the centre!
  • Established Member
    Established Member

• ado28 ...

Post » 12 Dec 2008, 23:28

The old Bank was dark and dingy. Presto and fine fare was the furthest shop or the nearest I should say to the cinema. I can remember the new Bank of Scotland opening and I opened up a Bank of Scotland "Super Saver" account! "Sammy the Squirrel" was the hero to lure kinds into saving up their pocket money. You got lots of goodies when you opened up an account back in they days but looking back on it now it was all just junk! :lol:

• Post » 14 Dec 2008, 01:13

ado28 wrote:The old Bank was dark and dingy.

It was a bit, wasn't it? I can remember customers smoking in there while they queued, how times have changed.

I've just remembered that there was also a chemist shop a few units down from there, probably where Aulds is now. I can picture the pharmacist, and remember using the weighing scales in there, but can't remember the name of it.

Fine Fare was great. It had tubs of loose foods, we used to get Rice Krispies from them. And their rolls were yummy. I know it used to be a Co-Op before that, but I don't remember much about that. Not that I would, seeing as I'm only 21 ;)
  • Familiar Face
    Familiar Face

• Paul ...

Post » 14 Dec 2008, 12:55

I remember the Chemist... Used to be where the Carphone warehouse is.
    Used to have massive scales you put a penny in to find out your weight!!! :)

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• ado28 ...

Post » 16 Dec 2008, 17:37

My Mum worked in the coop and I can remember going to the shop with my Dad to meet her when she finished. The chemist was in fact where the Carphone warehouse is like Paul says and yeah I do remember the penny scales! Aulds was originally called Crawfords and I loved their trifles lol!

• Boydy ...

Post » 22 Dec 2008, 23:28

Thought I would give you a laugh about the old cinema which used to site outside the centre. A woman I used to work with moved to Livingston and went there with her kids and asked for 2 tickets for the circle!!!! The woman at the ticket desk just about fell over laughing and shouted over to the woman on the sweet kiosk "hey Aggie this lassie wants tickes for the circle"!! The 2 of them were about wetting themselves. She said I'm guessing you've never been here before! :lol:

I remember also that the the kids matinee film on a Saturday they used to usher you in to the screen room and and then leave you to it as the kids ran amok firing popcorn at each other and spraying juice. I don't think we ever got to watch a film!!!!
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• Paul ...

Post » 23 Dec 2008, 10:45

hahahaha
    good times...
    I remember seeing a few disney films there... Snow white, Little Mermaid... Honey I shrunk the kids..
    Was so sad when it closed.

• Site Admin
    Site Admin

• Post » 29 Jan 2009, 20:00

I can remember going a few times as a kid, and the only thing that sticks in my head is the fact it was always COLD !!!
  • New Kid on the Block
    New Kid on the Block

• PreviousNext

Return to Shopping