St Johns hospital replaced the
old Bangour Hospital
whose isolated location, poorly served by public transport, created problems
for staff, patients and visitors. The first phase of the St Johns hospital opened
in 1990 creating 1000 new jobs for Livingston and in 1991 the second phase was
ready to be opened providing a further 1000 jobs. Providing Livingston
with its own hospital with 600 beds and employing around 2000 people.